Democracy, Community and Me
Bring democracy into your classroom! Students learn about how rules, laws and the processes of local government support a community for everyone.
Students explore the fundamentals of democracy and government in Australia. They examine the difference between rules and laws and how they are made to benefit the community.
Students stand for mock-election to the local government while learning about preferential voting and absolute majorities. They participate in a local government council meeting role play, with costumes and props, to illustrate how local rules and laws are made for the community. Students take the role of Councillors and residents to contribute their opinions to the debate and to get to grips with the democratic process.
Booking this incursion includes assessment rubrics, follow-up resources, lessons plans, and professional development certificates for all attending teachers.
We recommend students in Years 5 and 6 participate in our Parliament Process incursion.
Suitable for Year 3 and Year 4
This incursion can be adapted for various year groups. Please contact us for more information.
✔ Civics and Citizenship
✔ Ethical Capability
✔ Year 3 and Year 4
"The teachers and students loved Democracy, Community and Me! It was structured so each student had a chance to contribute, and everyone was engaged the whole way through. I would definitely book this incursion again."
Mel, Brunswick South West Primary School
"Our Grade 3/4 students loved the incursion with Daniel! They had a great time participating in role models and came away filled with information. Thank you Linked Incursions!"
Kim, Middle Park Primary School
- We require a large, unfurnished indoor area in which to run the incursion.
- One chair per student is required for this incursion.
- We request access to a digital screen (TV, IWB etc).
- We require access to the incursion location 30-60 minutes before the start time.
- We request to be in one location for the day as setup can take some time.
- Linked Incursions provides all other necessary resources.
- Group sizes are limited to a maximum of 40 students.
- The incursion runs for 80 to 90 minutes.
- Teachers are responsible for supervision of students at all times.
- Please see our pricing page for the cost of this incursion.
- We recommend students in Years 5 and 6 participate in our Parliament Process incursion.